Slave girls initially lived with tormentor in commune

Slave girls initially lived with tormentor in commune

Two of the women had initially lived in a kind of "commune" with their tormentor, the 67-year-old suspect, and shared a "common political ideology," scotland yard said. The guardian had earlier written in its saturday edition, citing police sources, of a semi-religious cult.

"What people were involved, what kind of commune it was and how it operated, all that is the subject of our investigation and we are slowly and painstakingly piecing together more information," scotland-yard chief investigator steve rodhouse said. The two suspects, a married couple aged 67, had come to the UK from india and tanzania in the 1960s. They had already been arrested once in 1970. Police gave no details about the reasons for the arrest at the time.

The pair were arrested by police in the lambeth district of london on thursday, but were released on bail fub friday night. The two are accused of keeping three women, aged 30, 57 and 69, in modern slavery for more than 30 years. The role of the man’s wife, who is also suspected of the crime, in the case was not yet clear.

"Somehow the commune must have ended and the women ended up living with the suspects," rodhouse said. "We believe that physical and emotional abuse applied to all three victims," he said. Earlier in the day he had spoken of "beating" and a kind of "brainwashing" that the women had been subjected to.

During the evidence gathering so far, the birth certificate of the 30-year-old was the only official document that could be found. The guardian wrote on saturday that the woman could be the daughter of the 57-year-old irish woman and the 67-year-old suspect. She is believed to have spent her entire life so far in captivity, police say. She has not received a regular education, but is able to read and write and is described as "intelligent".

According to the police, the investigation is difficult and complicated. Interviewing the severely traumatized victims takes time. The victims had to set the pace. "You can’t bomb them now," said aneeta prem of the relief organization freedom charity, which played a major role in freeing the women on 25. October had participated. The aid organization had noticed a multiplication of calls for help on its hotline after the case became known, she said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.